Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Fedora admin survival kit

  • Network config
    /usr/bin/system-config-network

    /etc/rc.d/init.d/
    /etc/sysconfig/network

    files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/*

  • Upgrade from Fedora 5 to Fedora 10:
    I get the error: Error enabling swap device hdb3: No such file or directory
    The /etc/fstab on your upgrade partition does not reference a valid swap partition.

    What I did is rename hdb3 by sdb3 in fstab. Then the install worked fine.
    After that, I had to change in /etc/X11/xorg.conf: Driver "i810" to Driver "vesa"

    After that I start having applications that crashed with different errors. I started to be tired of this upgrade, I decided to re-install totally. The Fedora10 installer froze when it asked me for license, no keyboard, mouse inactive (eventhough it was active in the first screen of the installer). I said OK, let's give Ubuntu a try... Using Ubuntu 8.04 I finally could install without issue, no video configuration to change, no application crashing, Ubuntu works for me.
  • No comments: